Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tao Te Ching Chapter 15-9 Empty


Today's Tao

Empty, as if he were a valley. (Ch.15)


A: "Be empty."

B: "Sir,... Excuse me, sir. How can I be empty?

A: "Empty your mind."

B: "Yes, sir."

B tries to empty his mind.

B: "No, sir, I can't do it. I can't do it. Oh, my god! There must be something wrong with me. Something wrong with me!"


Don't worry.

Nobody needs to empty his mind.

Don't waste your time and energy. It doesn't matter if you can do it or not.

Your mind and body are a hologram. In a sense, you are already empty.

Then, what does "Be empty." mean really?

It means:

"No resistance. Accept all".


☞See Tao by Matsumoto / Chapter 6 / Valley God. The word "valley" is always associated with emptiness, vacuum, and void in Tao Te Ching.


Buddhists say:

Colour is justly equal to emptiness. Emptiness is justly equal to colour.

色即是空。空即是色。

[Shiki soku ze ku. Ku soku ze shiki.]


Dogen adds:

Colour is colour. Emptiness justly emptiness.

色是色なり。空即空なり。

(Makahannya Haramitsu 摩訶般若波羅蜜, «Shobogenzo»)


Naoto Matsumoto says:

You say Potato. I say Potahto.


«Related Articles»
-Dark Depth 15-1
-How profound! 15-2
-Mr I-know-Tao? 15-3
-Take time 15-4
-Hesitant 15-5
-Solemn 15-6
-Disintegrating 15-7
-Thick 15-8
-Empty 15-9
-Muddy water 15-10
-Muddy but clear 15-11
-Restructured World 15-12
-Break your mirror 15-13
-Break your face 15-14
-Tao by Matsumoto / Tao Te Ching / Chapter 15
-Full = Empty 45-3


Tao answers your question!



Previous video / Ch.15 text / Next video

No comments: